Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Simple Spiritual Mind Treatment for Children


Volunteering in the nursery was the first service I embraced at the Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa in the late 1990's. Taking care of babies and toddlers was my joy and their parents or grandparents could have some uninterrupted time to take in the message. At that time, I did not have any grandchildren, and I loved being with those little ones and recognizing Spirit expressing as these curious beings.  Each Sunday, we taught these toddlers a candle lighting ceremony with felt candles and flames. They loved taking turns "lighting" the candles. The teacher spoke these words as the children put up the candles one at a time.  God is life, I am life. God is light, I am light. God is joy, I am joy. God is peace, I am peace. God is love, I am love. God is beauty, I am beauty. God is power, I am power. After that, we taught them a short spiritual mind treatment with arm movements that the toddlers enthusiastically joined in doing. Those first two lines have stuck with me and I use them when I need a shortcut to get to the realization step.  Here is that prayer for children with hand/arm movements.

Recognition: God is all there is.  (Open arms wide)

Unification: I am one with God. (Hug yourself)

Realization: I have everything I need. (Hold hands out, palms open facing up)

Thanksgiving: I give thanks. (Place hands at the heart, palms together)

Release: And I let go. (Swing arms up in the air)


Bette Smith, RScP Emeritus

Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment